Front suspension Astra G.

AndyR

Well it never rains, but it pours. As the saying goes.

I have just recently replaced all the front suspension on my daughters Micra, and now I've got to do my own car. Marvelous..............

Coming home from town the other day, and there is a rattle and a clatter under the car coming from n/s front wheel. Turns out the front spring broke, and the noises I heard were the part of the spring dropping out. 

So I now have a slightly lower front end.

I had every intension to replace all the suspension parts, but I was going to do it slowly over the summer. Well that plans changed. So I shall be ordering new springs, and the top bearings this week, and ticking that job off. Wish me luck. I will keep you all updated as it all goes together. I have a feeling that it might be the original springs that are being replaced. If so, they haven't done bad for 21 years.     

(sorry about the writing being in 2 colours, I don't know what I've done).

• Sad 1

Yes so much positivity. Its always a great help. Which is better than my brother-in-law and his doom and gloom approach to everything.  Will be ordering parts this week. So hopefully can get it done in the nice weather, and get a good tan in the process. Always looks nice after a wash.

20230626_202135.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I have finally managed to get to work on my own car, now daughters is sorted. 

Update on the broken spring, is that it's not broke. The shock on the other hand has died. Hence why the spring was so squished down. So new shocks on order, and as I already have new springs and bearings, the whole front end will get a well deserved overhaul. Checking on records of car history, there is no record of any work being done to suspension legs. So I'm guessing there all original. Which isn't bad for 229,800 miles. 

On looking at wish bones, they are a bit floppy, so I see these being replaced too. 

At least the sun's out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is the plan mate. The shocks are being done now, but due to financial reasons, the wishbones will be done at a later date, but not very late. Like you say, once done,  it's a job that will hopefully outlast the car. 

20230908_154409.jpg

20230907_203124.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well finally got wishbones and both shocks all replaced. A few other little jobs to do, and then I can see about getting an mot booked. Looking all tidy under the front now. 

20240201_140644.jpg

Good to see someone prepared to do the work rather than saying it's not worth it and scrap the car. So, Andy the underneath of the car must now look as good as the outside of the car !   You may have high mileage, but you obviously maintain your car to a high level and it shows in the way she looks.

• Like 1

Hi there, yes I do try to keep the old girl going. I was lucky when I bought her, as she'd been kept by the same family, father to son to father, then I acquired her. So a good service and repair history too. 

I've been doing bits ready for the dreaded mot, which I am going to try and book tomorrow. Once that's out of the way, I'll be preparing for a cambelt change. I've never done one before, so a little nervous. I am hoping that it isn't too bad a job. Have a feeling I will be doing water pump as well, got a little leak in that area. 

Wish me luck.😁😁