Insignia Turbo issue?

Hi everyone. 

I hope someone can help/advise.

Please excuse my “non-mechanic/technical” explanation but I’ve got better knowledge of quantum physics than I have of engines.

I bought an Insignia 2.0 CDTi SRi 2011 through AutoTrader (private seller - yeah, I know, lesson learnt!!!) and within a day had it in the garage. I found that when going over 40 it massively lacked power. It would get to 60/70mph but took a while. I was told that when I took it in to them, an air inlet hose had been removed from the turbo (their guess was by the previous owner) which was creating the problem. But when they reattached the hose oil would pass straight through the turbo and out of the exhaust - due to worn bearings????. I don’t recall seeing smoke come from the exhaust. They had to refill the oil after taking it for a 2 mile test drive. They quoted me £1000+ to replace the turbo. When driving I can’t hear any unusual noises etc.

What’s your thoughts? Does the problem seem to be what they described or could it be something a lot simpler/worse?

I’ll try to answer any questions but I apologise in advance if I don’t understand the question or for my non-technical answers. 

Thank you. 

It does sound like turbo bearings have gone and the last thing you want is for the engine to be inducing oil through the turbo - can lead to a runaway engine!

If they can guarantee their diagnosis of the turbo being defective then unfortunately it's a case of biting the bullet and getting it done