Automatic diesel

bigdavy66

• 4 months later...

Best to not get in the habit of selecting neutral at the lights as a BRAKE BAND inside the gearbox could wear and when selecting D again you could get a noticeable jerk,as gearbox takes up the slack. Seems like bump from car behind.

Dave

Hi there, I have a petrol automatic, and I always apply handbrake and knock it into neutral whilst waiting at the lights. 

I was led to believe years ago, that keeping it in gear whilst holding it on the braking system can put strain on the gears, as they obviously want to be driving. 

I have felt the "bump effect", but i just put it down to not having the revs right.

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy

All Insignia automatic gearboxes have a Torque Converter fitted between the engine and gearbox and when engine is  on very low revs at the lights the TC output shaft is not rotating at all so is not straining the automatic gearbox. The BRAKE BAND inside the gearbox remain tight and you will not get the sudden jerk when lights change. 
A Torque Converter is a brilliant invention, Utube explains how they work. They are excellent if you tow a caravan or boat as there is no clutch to wear out.

Be careful when buying automatic cars as some car companies use a dual clutch transmission  ( DCT ) which is a MANUAL GEARBOX with TWO clutches which have plenty of expensive problems. There is NO TORQUE CONVERTER on DCT cars. Read on Utube about  the DCT nightmare. That’s the reason I have two Vauxhall Insignia’s, I like the TC gearboxes.

Regards Dave

I 

Edited by Dave May
Full stop added