EGR Valve Astra G

AndyR

Hi all, a while ago I was having trouble with my EGR, but After replacing with the spare one that came with the car, it cleared, only to return to have trouble again.

I put the old egr back on, and the car was good again ,engine management light was back on, but the car has been running fine.

Well I have now bought a brand new EGR. I fitted it the beginning of the week, and after a good run into town, ( about 12 miles) the EML went out, and everything was good. 

Now here's the BUT!!

2 days later, and some 50 miles of tripping about. The EML is back on. Can anyone shed some light on why this is. Car is running like a dream, somewhat better than when i first bought it, but with a nice bright orange light showing. 

Its a 1.6 16 valve auto .

Regards Andy. 

Hi Trevor, had a obd2 on it this afternoon,  it showed 2 codes, both relating to egr, one was that the egr had restricted flow, and the other was on about poor emissions.  Brother in law did a test on the egr and it came up as clear, so he has cleared out the codes, and I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see what happens. Will let you know how it plays. 

Well I was hoping that was the case, but after a run into town Tuesday all was going well until I had to shoot out Tuesday evening to rescue the wife and her car. And half way to her, it came back on again. So I'm now open to suggestions as a next step. 

Car is still running fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

🤔Looks like I'm going to be going a delving into the deep dark depths of the engine bay. I was wondering if the pipes from and to the egr might need a clean out. Will see how it goes.