engine and power steering oils?

alphonse

Hi again, I would like some advice please regarding the correct engine  oil for my 2012 Meriva, petrol.B 14 XER.

When I bought the car, the dealer had changed the oil and entered in the service book that he had filled it with C3 grade oil.  However when I checked the  owners hand book it states it should be Dexos 2. and only use 1 litre of C3 once in between oil changes. So is ACEA C3 not good for this engine? looking at the recommended oils on line only makes for more confusion...

My other question is this. Should the power steering oil level be checked when the engine is running or not? Also, the oil in mine looks very dark. should it be changed at all? I cannot find any mention of this anywhere. I am asking this as a friend recently bought a Meriva 2013, and his power steering has failed. 

Thank again for any help.

Alphonse.

I would use Halfords oil selector by typing in your registration onto their system it lists the oil specs for your vehicle

as you have already mentioned you are correct in going by the ACEA specs rather than just the grade (e.g 5w30)

C3 is a low sulphur content and produces low ash content for the DPF to sort but this is not applicable to your car, but it wouldn't do any harm as such.

It would be worth changing the PAS fluid but you would need to drop the old fluid out from the rack and then fill and bleed by turning the steering lock to lock with the engine running

Thanks for the advice, I will check with Halfords as you suggest.

To go back to the power steering oil changing, I haven,t been able to find the type or grade anywhere, also, is there a drain bung on the rack? I don,t want to disconnect the wrong thing.

Sorry to be a bother.

The fluid should be a power steering fluid such as Dexron2 which Halfords sell a universal Dexron PAS fluid which should be suitable (check with them first)

The best place to bleed out is one of the steering rack fluid pipe unions (either in or out and allow to drain before tightening and refilling.
Once filled and time allowed for fluid to drain down into the rack you will need to turn the steering wheel lock to lock while someone tops up the fluid as it drops.
You'll know you're there when the fluid doesn't drop and the terrible screeching noise for the steering disappears when turning the wheel