EGR Valve and Engine Management Light.

AndyR

Hi all. Ever since I bought this car, it has an EGR that is giving me problems. I have replaced it several times, tried blanking it, and even left it swinging in the breeze with a blanking plate covering where it is fitted to the engine.

I get the system reset to clear the fault code, and the EML goes out. Here comes the big BUT....

After about 30-40 miles it comes back on again. Car runs fine, with no spluttering or sooty smoke. MOT tester said that emissions are fine, and he cleared out the stored fault codes which are all pointing at the EGR being faulty. What ideas does anyone have as to how I can cure this problem once and for all. The EML light and I are becoming best friends as its been on so long. I only notice it when it goes out. 😆 

Thanks in advance. 

Andy. 

• 2 weeks later...

It should look something similar to this (but most don't have the small hole in the middle and will cause issues with the EML coming on)

image.png

Most petrol engines do not have an EGR but it turns out (didn't know this info) that the Twinport Vauxhall petrol engine had two but also they mostly fail due to heat as they are not water cooled as they are in the diesel engines. Eliminating the EGR will not necessarily unduly affect emissions as they were fitted to comply with the EURO emissions scheme at the time (has moved on significantly since) but they were not fitted to any future variants of this particular engine or any other petrol versions. So blanking it off shouldn't be an issue with regards to emissions or MOT regulations.