Astra Diesel problems

S.Taylor

Been driving for 40 years and on my first diesel ...An 07 1.9cdti Sri Astra. Nice for three months (the warranty period!), then a total disaster. I am an engineering graduate and have learnt a lot about diesels in the last few months...I cannot believe the fundamental design weaknesses in the modern dpf,egr and sensor laden machines. I won't waffle but I've had a new dpf with new temp probe, a dpf clean, replaced the Maf sensor, cleaned the map sensor,blanked off the egr valve sillyness , and had the injectors calibrated (to the ECU). It all started with limp mode,no power, etc. it's running now but there is diesel in the sump oil above max level and I know it's still not right. I did a leak back test today on the injectors...think I haven't done it as per specification...I set it up with my four little bottles and tubes and ran car from cold for exactly ten minutes...my diesel volumes collected were for cylinders 1 to 4....85ml, 100ml, 88ml and 62ml. Can anybody advise me on these volumes and any other views welcome. Many thanks

Sorry to hear that your experience with Diesel engines so far is not a good one....generally, if the engine is run hard constantly there isn't usually an issue as the fuel burns clean.

If you have inherited a 'one careful owner' car then this usually rings alarm bells by suggesting that the car has been smoked around town at low revs and everything is blocked up.

In regards to the leak-back measurements....golden rule is 'as little as possible' in the pots...sounds like the engine needs an 'Italian Tune-Up' to clear it through, let is settle down and then recheck the measurements.

It wouldn't do any harm to run a strong injector cleaning solution through the fuel (premium quality fuel) to clean the injectors as they sound as though they are contaminated with carbon as well.

Change the oil and filter at some stage as well as you don't want a 'runaway' engine with all that fuel washdown in the oil. Use low-ash oil recommended for DPF engines and a quality filter as well.

Let us know how you get on with it all

Cheers,  Trevor