INSIGNIA AUTOMATIC LOSS OF DRIVE FIXED NOW FREE

Dave May

Vauxhall Owners Club
This post was recognized by Vauxhall Owners Club!

Dave May was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Last week on a long drive home my car suddenly lost all drive. ( imagine that on a smart motorway ). I then realised car had  slipped into neutral on its own. Managed to get home by tightly holding gear lever into Drive position but car trying to get in neutral all the time. When home looked under bonnet and could just see where gear change cable connects to gearbox. It was disconnected due to a plastic BALL JOINT that was broken and completely missing. The cable end with the missing ball joint had just a 10mm hole left. ( photo 1 )
Purchased new cable and found the missing ball connecter was just a small piece of plastic  ( photo 2 and 3 ). This part could easily be removed and fitted in original cable.
To fit the new cable the centre console inside the car has to be removed. This would be a very long job and would probably cause damage to the unmarked interior of my car so decided NOT TO FIT NEW CABLE.
This so called ball joint is a very weak Micky Mouse connection so decided to make a simple stronger modification ( photo 4 ).
Note :  The nut on photo 4 must be NYLOC type and adjusted so joint can move, use a bit of grease.
To do this modification APPLY ELECTRONIC BRAKE, DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS. Then remove battery and battery box. The cars engine management computer can be lifted up by releasing ONE clip ( photo 9 ) with a screwdriver. No need to pull hard on this it’s very easy after you have found the clip see photos. Also note 4 sliders to hold computer when refitting. DO NOT unplug any computer plugs.
Follow photos  ( 5 to 8 ). Unbolt bracket and cut off metal ball using angle grinder ( this ball is very hard so CANNOT USE DRILL ). Once back of ball has been ground off just hammer out with punch.
The bracket can then be drilled out 10mm dia.

Useful knowledge learnt .

Photo 10- To remove gear lever cover just pull from this position.
Photo 11- To unlock parking lock ( P ) with dead battery press down with nail or screwdriver then move gear lever.
Photo 12- Gear lever knob has to be broken to remove holding pin clip. Just break silver plastic at bottom of knob and pull out clip. New lever just pushes on.
Photo 13- Put gear lever in P park position and use 6.5 inch long metal rod or wood to avoid damage to gearbox selector switch when tightening bracket nut. Maybe not necessary but don’t know how switch end stop works inside gearbox.
When refitting battery box fit longest screw in position first before  dropping box in place.
Don’t forget to fit the strap to the positive terminal of the battery. This just stops the battery flying out if you hit someone head on.
 Maybe vauxhall should be informed of this BALL JOINT FAULT and supply just the small plastic micky mouse part free to avoid fitting the complete cable and will then 
get good reviews from owners.

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4579.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. I must repeat the very important APPLY THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE  BEFORE REMOVING THE BATTERY because I DID  forget to do that and the result was PANIC. My front garden has a slight incline down towards my house, back of car was facing house. I was unbolting the gear change bracket and gear changed  to neutral and car started to move backwards. I had NO CONTROL to stop it and no time to switch back to Park and result luckily was only dent in garage door. But just think what could have happened. Suggest also chock a couple of wheels with bricks.

Do you have any useful contacts at Vauxhall so we can get those cheapo plastic parts FREE.

Regards

Dave

Edited by Dave May
  • Like 1