Hissing noise Astra 1.6 Twinport

phill_g

Hi,

I noticed this evening that their is a weird hiss/ humm noise every 15 secs or so coming from the engine bay seems to be coming from top of engine. Ive video clipped the noise and posted on youtube if anyone could take a listen and give any ideas on what it could be that would be great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhpavCgLno&feature=plcp

cheers

phill :)

• 6 years later...

Hi Phil, I just went to check your video on youtube, but its no longer avaliable. I too have a 1.6 astra twinport. The only sounds i get, which is when i turn off. Is the sound of what i hope is the aircon pump winding down.

I would be curious to hear yours, unless you have managed to quieten it down. 

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy!

I no lomger have this car now. But i remember it was the rocker cover I believe. Caused build up of air and when releasing the oil cap air would come out and the engine stall or nearly stall. New rocker cover solved the issue. Is a common problem i believe :)

phill

Hi Phill,

Glad you got it sorted. I've now developed what looks like head gasket problems. The oil filler cap is covered in yellow custard looking snot. I am not losing any water, and the oil doesn't have any discolouring, and the header tank is still quite normal. 

I am wondering if its in need of the pipes from the rocker cover needing a clean out. 

Thanks for the tip, i had a feeling that it might be something on those lines, i had an old montego years ago that did the same, after connecting a pipe to the air filter, it cleared up. 

Going to get all the bits for a service next week, and clean everything out then.  And bleed the heater too. 😃