CANBUS

Nickita

Someone help please.

I have a problem with my vauxhall insignia that is not starting. I keep getting a message to do with lack of communication between ECM and BCM. Somebody suggested that the problem may be caused by CANBUS module. When I looked at it, it had sign of burn a little bit and the pins had what looks like limescale on them.

Just wanted to check someone's knowledge on this before I buy a new one. My question is this:

Can I a damaged CANBUS module cause a disruption in communication between ECU and BCM? Can that is even prevent the  vehicle from starting?

Easiest way to see if CANBUS is working is to turn on the lights and check the rear lights. If back lights are working get someone to press the brake pedal and check red brake lights work. You will see  the two side lights just get much brighter ( single filament bulbs ). This is with ignition ON and any trailer board disconnected. 
If CANBUS is not working I don’t think the engine would start. Try disconnecting all lighting units ( thats rear lights and headlights)  to eliminate any short circuit caused by water damage. Engine might then start.
The Haynes manual has good circuit diagrams and fuse locations. 
Dave