Electric fan constantly running.

AndyR

Hi all, My sister-in-law has a 17 plate astra 1.6. Just recently the electric cooling fan has kicked in for no reason, and only goes off when ignition is turned off. As soon as you start up, whether hot or cold , it's running. Sounds like a light aircraft taxiing. Brother-in-law said that code 89 comes up. But when he clears out the fault code, it's still running. Can anyone shed some light on the problem, so I can advise what steps to take to rectify.

Thanks in advance. Andy. 

Hi Andy

Hope you are stating well?

First thing I can think of is it could be the air conditioning fan running as this would do if its switched on as the engine is started and runs to maintain the temperature.

Try switching the AC off if it is running all the time.

After that then I would presume it is the coolant temperature sensor that is giving a false reading

Hi, yes I'm well. Thank you for your idea. Never gave A/c fan a thought. Sister-in-law can be a bit dopey at times, so maybe she's hit the a/c button. I will get brother-in-law to check that out. And get him to check the coolant sensor too. 

Stay well.

Regards AndyR 

Its not the A/c fan. And its still showing code 89. Coolant levels are all good, and the car isn't running hot, so brother-in-law is going to run it into a Vauxhall dealer to get them to have a look.

I'll keep you posted of what the outcome is. 

Andy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the electric fan situation. 

Whilst brother-in-law was changing a headlight bulb, he noticed that there was a load of corrosion around the thermostat housing. When he gave it a poke, he saw that it was breaking up. So a new thermostat unit was ordered, and he has now fitted it, and all is back to normal.

A complete thermostat unit from ebay was a grand total of £27.00. So a good cheap fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...