Intellilink Upgrade help

Hi, I just bought a 2014 Insignia and while it's fair to say that it does have a couple of issues that need sorting, I am more than happy with my purchase so far. My question on here is this, is there a super quick and easy way to flash my system to bring it up to date, I have seen a few others and their screens etc look a little different to mine, they also seem to be able to do various things that I don't seem to be able to do. Having said that, I am not one to run blindly into any sort of an upgrade unless I am certain that it's absolutely required OR, I am happy in the knowledge that the upgrade will make a significant difference to me making it work better etc. A couple of questions that it might also be a good idea to ask.... Is there a way to see what software version I have installed and what is the latest version of the software available, before upgrading my software, should I back up the software that I already have installed AND if I back up the current version and the upgrade goes wrong, can I back out and re install the backed up software.

I also think I may have an issue with the USB slots (2 of them in the centre console, some USB's that I try to play music from will not register and some will, yet they seem to be the same condition, some are larger than others Min 4GB Max 16GB etc, any idea's?

I would hope that as my knowledge grows about this car I will be able to help others out too but right now, all I have is questions, Thanks to anyone who may be able to help in advance.

Cheers

Rob