Astra VXR Engine bay clean

VXRDavie

Spent some time cleaning the engine bay on my 2010 Astra VXR.

Everything was degreased with a soaking of Bilt Hamber Surfex HD at 25% dilution, scrubbed with brushes and rinsed. I then finished with a spray and rub and then spray and leave coating of AutoFinesse Dressle. 

I took some time to polish up the actuator and the manifold cover before cleaning. Replaced the spring clips with fresh black ones and shrink wrapped new jubilee clips.

I repainted the crossover using Hycote VHT black + lacquer as the original crossover coating was bubbling off. It's okay, but I think I'll have a hunt for an original to replace it. 

Coolant changed. Now just to hoover and wash 🙂

20220422_162451.jpg

20220409_180957.jpg

20220422_162439.jpg

You've definitely made a class job of the engine bay. Do you cover the electrics when rinsing off the cleaning solution. I have always been a bit scared of getting water into the electrics and causing a short somewhere. 

My engine could seriously do with a good clean up.

Regards Andy.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy.

Not too much covering to be honest.

The battery was removed and cleaned externally so that I could tidy up the battery terminals. I covered the alternator with a bag throughout. When I was jet washing the underside of the bonnet and the tops of the inner wings, landing panel etc I also covered the whole engine with a black bag. 

I had the crossover off along with the tophat pipes at one point so that I could get in about the back of the engine. Any open pipes like the valve cover inlet/outlets and the coolant and air intakes were covered using good quality nylon gloves. They're very versatile and always a good fit 😁 ... cut fingers off to cover over smaller pipes and use whole gloves to cover over the larger ones(always at least two layers 👍

It was a sunny day when the job got done so when it was finished the bonnet was left open for everything to dry. Car's been out for a few runs and is ticking over nicely. 

Screenshot_20220425-073527_Gallery.jpg

Edited by VXRDavie
  • Like 2