Post War Vauxhall 10and 12 HIY, I, HIX and J

timbo

Hi I am new to Vauxhall history, and trying my very best to understand the first cars made after the war, which are designated as above. But every time I read something about these first post war cars I get more confused.

I am happy with the 14hp J I think, a six light, six cylinder saloon.

But I read the the first post war '10's were longer than prewar. Does that mean they were six light?

I read they stopped making the 10 when the tax system changed?

I dont understand what bodies they were using with what engine. Were there three bodies (short 4 light, 4 light and longer six light?}

So what is an H?

What is an HIY?

What is an HIX?

and when did they make each one?

It would be great if i could be clear about the chronology and sizes!

Cheers Timbo

Hi Timbo.....welcome to the Club

I believe there was a system to naming the different models over the decades but I have to admit I do not understand it either.

A little before my time and I really started appreciating Vauxhalls after the 1960's when most models were instantly recognisable, unlike today's vehicles which all pretty much look the same.

Good luck with your research and let us know how you are getting on with it all

Hi Timbo, An interesting question to be asking. 

My curiosity has got the better of me, so i hit google. 

I put in , " what does HIY/HIX, and H mean on post war vauxhall cars". And it came up with different pages to look at that explain. The best one was on http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com

This has a link to Vauxpedia which has loads of info about it. Might be worth looking at that to help understand the meanings of the afore mentioned lettering. 

Regards Andy. 

• Like 1