E5 or E10, Who has problems.

AndyR

Vauxhall Owners Club
This post was recognized by Vauxhall Owners Club!

AndyR was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Hi all, As we all know, the start of September was the roll out of the new E10 petrol. Now according to the DVLA website, ALL Vauxhall models can use the new E10, excluding models with the 2.2 litre direct injection petrol engine, code Z22YH, Vectra, Signum, Zafira. Which should use the E5.

My Astra is a 1.6 16v petrol, and 19 years old. It was running ok to start with, but in the last week it has been quite gutless, and economy fell through the floor. Wife went out on Monday and put in £30 of E5, and it now is running sweet again, and fuel economy is back to where it used to be, which is good. 

Has anyone else found this with their vehicles? And have any owners of the afore mentioned models had any issues?

Regards Andy.  

Hi Andy

I have been running E10 in both my Harley and Z3 as they are rated to be able to run without issues.

Also, not sure if its psychological but am sure it runs better on E10

Possibly its because you put different fuel in (e.g. from a supermarket) rather than a premium fuel supplier (BP, ESSO, etc)?

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES WITH THE NEW E10 FUEL - LET US KNOW HOW YOU'RE GETTING ON WITH IT ?

Hi Trevor, 

The Astra seems happier on the old E5, but will see how it goes this week, as was only able to get the E10 today. And as it was quite low due to having the fuel shortage, beggars cant be choosers. 

I always believed that supermarkets got their fuel from the main suppliers, i.e., BP, Esso, and Shell, and it was just transported in the supermarkets own vehicles. Had to use Tesco today as our BP has not had any fuel for about a week. 

Glad that your Harley is ok with it, nice to know that you haven't got to spend on changing pipes and seals to keep it going, and you can get out and enjoy.

• Like 1

I too remember them doing away with the old 4 star, luckily my datsun was OK with it, not needing harder valve seats like some cars had to have done. I just adjusted the carb mixture and she was good to go. 

The days where you could adjust manually,  not have a computer to do it. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy and all, I'm glad this question is finally getting some attention as I tried to raise it with Vauxhall months ago (including the Owners' Club) and got no response.  I often drive my 2005 Zafira in the Netherlands, where E10 was brought in over a year ago, and I needed to know whether I could put it in my Zafira or not. The Dutch website referred to Opel of course, and listed Zafira A and Zafira B, and I had no idea whether my Zafira Life was one of those or something else!  Now that E10 has been introduced in the UK as well there is at last a UK website giving advice, and it seems that it is OK to use E10, so I have stopped tanking up with the more expensive premium fuels and started using E10.  So far, no problems.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue, so glad to hear that you have been able to get sorted. I wasn't sure about my own Astra G, so I went on the UK DVLA website and found the info that i posted, in the hope that it would help other Vauxhall/Opel owners. And it appears that i have, even across the to the Netherlands. Have your Petrol stations increased their prices like the UK?

Happy motoring.

Andy. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It doesn't seem to have made a difference with my fuel economy. I did 130 miles the other day on £15 of E10, and the old girl gave me 56 mpg. I don't mind that from a 20 year old car that's done nearly 230,000 miles.  

Edited by AndyR
predictive text error.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2003 Astra 1.6 manual that has covered just over 86,000trouble free miles. However, since putting E10 in  it's running erratically and jerky as I pull away or take my foot off the throttle pedal. Whether it's the fault of the petrol or another problem, I don't know. I guess the first action I should take is to fill up with a higher premium petrol and see if that cures it. Having a number of vintage & classic cars & motorcycles I am already suspicious of this new petrol but back in the 60's I used to run my bikes on Cleveland Discol which had alcohol added and I suffered no problems with it then.

Clifford G 

• Like 1

Hi Clifford.

My Astra did run a bit rough at first on the E10, but it was also due a service at the time. But the old girl seems fine now, and is still giving good mpg for a 20 year old with over 200,000 miles on her. 

I wonder if the E10 may have some sort of additive that clears out any carbon deposits, and that is the cause of the jerkyness. That could just be me thinking outside the box. 

Hope you get it sorted.😉

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:01 PM, AndyR said:

I wonder if the E10 may have some sort of additive that clears out any carbon deposits, and that is the cause of the jerkyness. That could just be me thinking outside the box. 

The Ethanol burns a bit hotter which would help to keep the engine clean but it also leads to slightly less MPG which along with the higher cost of fuel is leading us to be under the illusion that we are not getting much to the gallon as before

• Like 1

Now fuel prices have dropped, we are off to the coast Tuesday, family outing before girls are back at school. So I'm going to see what the mpg is after the trip. Hopefully there won't be any change.

It certainly is a good set up. Most vehicles I've had in the past have been mid to high 30's, and the fuel was cheaper.  And I was always impressed with getting 36+ . 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Vauxhall Owners Club
This post was recognized by Vauxhall Owners Club!

davep was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 30 points.

Don't think anyone will be as stupid as me. Buy thought I'd mention this. I have always used e5  shell in my vectra vxr. The other day was out and was really low (c.o.l) so I pulled in to morrissons to try there super unleaded. Didn't have none so put a tenners worth of e10 in the car now got a horrible misfire engine management and service light on. Two bottles of redex later and £50 of e5 later car is OK. Plz any vxr owners don't even chance a tenner if desperate. Yes I am a idiot 

• Sad 1

Hi Davep, glad to hear you got your vxr sorted. Obviously being a higher spec motor it prefers the e5. My old girl seems to prefer the e10. As I mentioned in previous posts, it was splutters and sluggish for a bit, but a good service, and she seems happy again.  Just recently did a trip of nearly 300 miles, and she returned 59.6 mpg, at a steady 60mph. I must be doing something right.🙂

• Like 1