Astra G 2004 1.6 issues

saints13579

Hi there, I have owned a Astra G 1.6 2004 since December 2020 and had many faults. 

The first being the ecu went bad and was sent off for rebuilding. 

Now, the current issues;

1. The car vibrates a fair bit at idle and has recently stalled upon start up and also stalled coming to a stop at lights it then struggled to start again. 

2. I've just plugged in my obd2 reader and have a U2106 'manufacture control' error. Dashboard stays on after removing keys. (both times a month apart, before and after new ecu, I believe was caused by ucb cigerette port, as I had dashcam and phone charging when I turned off engine, and dash stayed on. To turn of dash I had to remove USB adapter, and when I start the car I'd have an engine light. Clearing engine light meant it didn't come in again until the same situation occurred. 

3. I've used a Bluetooth obd2 and torque reader and have these codes

C3f18 - chassis

Po216 - Power train

P1614 - power train

P34e1 - power train

P3419 - power train

U2106 - network

U2106 was red, the others were grey within the torque app.  

4. I can hear water dripping behind dashboard, and it's louder when revving, only heard it for a few minutes on startup. 

5. On the torque app it says "fuel system status: closed loop using 1 02 sensor 'feedback fault') 

I do hope someone has a little insight. 

Kind regards, 

Chris. 

Hi Chris, I t sounds like you are having quite an issue there. I have a 02 Astra G 1.6 auto. The only issues that  the obd reader chucked up was to do with emissions, which i have been trying to cure. Mainly saying misfire on number 3. I have since found that it has a blow in the flexi part of exhaust, so i am hoping that was causing its tizzy fit. 

Could it still be the ecu giving you grief?  It sounds like a trip to a dealer might be required to get those faults sorted. 

Regards Andy.

40 minutes ago, AndyR said:

Hi Chris, I t sounds like you are having quite an issue there. I have a 02 Astra G 1.6 auto. The only issues that  the obd reader chucked up was to do with emissions, which i have been trying to cure. Mainly saying misfire on number 3. I have since found that it has a blow in the flexi part of exhaust, so i am hoping that was causing its tizzy fit. 

Could it still be the ecu giving you grief?  It sounds like a trip to a dealer might be required to get those faults sorted. 

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for your reply. 

One thing I'm definitely struggling with is the poor idle and occasional stalling when coming to a stop or starting car.

I have cleared the ecu faults and after 10 miles no lights or codes yet. 

I personally believe it is a fault with using the usb port charging camera and phone at the same time while switching engine off. This has happened twice and both times were when I was using both ports on the usb adapter. And to turn of the dash lights with no keys I needed to remove the USB port and it'll go off. Seems maybe the cigerette lighter with the USB port somehow keeps the engine live, and the ecu starts doing its checks but because its not actually on, it causes the errors.

Random question, do you hear your relay click when you use your windscreen wipers lol? 

Also, my fuel doesn't last long. A full take 220 miles with mainly city driving. 

Car is a bit shaky in drive, but in neutral it calms down. You think that could be engine mounts? 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not great at this and feel I have bought a lemon. My first car was a yaris and also a lemon. 

Also, the ecu was rebuilt 1 month ago. 🙂

Chris. 

Hi chris, it could possibly be engine mount causing vibrating.  With the poor idle and stalling, my old astra had this problem, but was only on the odd occasion.  I'm trying to remember what I did, I think I gave it a service and ran some injection cleaner through too. As for the cigarette lighter problem, it sounds like you might have diagnosed the problem. I've not used a usb charge point in mine. 

Regards Andy.

5 hours ago, AndyR said:

Hi chris, it could possibly be engine mount causing vibrating.  With the poor idle and stalling, my old astra had this problem, but was only on the odd occasion.  I'm trying to remember what I did, I think I gave it a service and ran some injection cleaner through too. As for the cigarette lighter problem, it sounds like you might have diagnosed the problem. I've not used a usb charge point in mine. 

Regards Andy.

I think I'll get it serviced in March and see what that finds. 

I gotta drive up the country next week so hopefully no breakdown, atleast not on the smart motorways 🙏

How long have you had your 02 Astra and what's your MPG like? I mean I can't check mine as there is no mpg notification on this car. 

Chris. 

I have astra g's for about 3 years. Last one was a manual,  this ones auto. I haven't got an on board mpg calculator.  I use one I found on Google. Terry Caskell mpg calculator.  

I'm getting about 38-45 mpg, depending on what trips I do. 

Since the lockdown,  I've only been doing local trips, so I'm only doing about 30 miles a week. Whereas pre lockdown it was easily 200 miles a week. 

A good service wouldn't do any harm. 

Have a safe journey.  

Andy.

1 minute ago, AndyR said:

I have astra g's for about 3 years. Last one was a manual,  this ones auto. I haven't got an on board mpg calculator.  I use one I found on Google. Terry Caskell mpg calculator.  

I'm getting about 38-45 mpg, depending on what trips I do. 

Since the lockdown,  I've only been doing local trips, so I'm only doing about 30 miles a week. Whereas pre lockdown it was easily 200 miles a week. 

A good service wouldn't do any harm. 

Have a safe journey.  

Andy.

Oh you must like the astra g then lol. 

Is that a site that translates your fuel and miles into mpg? 

Your mpg is expected really, I feel mine is rather low. 

Thanks for your input,

Take care and stay safe! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, Yes I do like the Astra G, it's ideal for me and the family. 

The site I use for working out mpg is a basic calculator. 

All you do is fill in the boxes and hit calculate. All you need is how much a litre, how much you spent, and how many miles you've done. 

www.terrycassell.com 

How did you get on with your road trip? no problems I hope.

Regards Andy.