Gearbox oil change

AndyR

Well I have finally got out and managed to do the oil change on my automatic box. Must admit I was very worried about doing it, as never done oil change on an auto before. All good, clean fresh ATF installed.  The old oil was very black, and smelt like ordinary diff oil. 

I will try to post pics. Car is running smooth between gears again. 

Might give it a couple of months and do it again to get rid of all traces of old oil. 

Decided to bite the bullet and get it done. Weather is supposed to be getting bad the weekend,  so as it was nice yesterday,  I got on with it. Must admit that i was concerned about doing it. Checked levels this morning and all good. 

I did an engine oil and filter change whilst i was under there too. So more ticks on the list. 

Great result Andy.....you may need to check the transmission fluid level with the engine running and in gear (cycle through the gears first) and obviously with the handbrake on and the wheels chocked. The level should then be between the marks if not top up.

p.s. you may have already done this but thought i would mention it just in case

Cheers Trevor,  yes I did do this after coming back from the test run. Engine up to temp, and ran through the gears slowly.  Level was spot on. And Saturday we did a round trip of about 60 miles, checked it when returned home, and it was perfect. 

Is there a filter in the box that can be changed, and if so where ? 

Andy.

Thanks Trevor,  that is the plan for warmer weather.  Just changing the oil has made a vast improvement.  Shall see how weather goes this week, and set about exhaust.  

Regards Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,  whilst under the car doing exhaust,  I looked to see where the sump for gearbox was. Can't seem to see an actual sump like on the engine.  Am I looking in the wrong place,  or just being a bit blind. Looks somewhat sealed. 🤔