Astra sports tourer off load rattle

Mikey92

Hi all, needing a bit help and advice here before i start pulling engine to bits,

I have a 2013 astra sports tourer 1.7 im sure its a a17dts, when driving then come of throttle whist car still moving the car starts making a rattle noise, give it some throttle its stops come off it again it starts again, now to me im hopping its a pulley or something but just wondering if anyone else has had issues like mine, I know the engine is quite loud anyway but this doesn’t sound natural 

Hi...welcome to the Forum

Its a tough one, but sometimes when a pulley is breaking up it will make an audible sound on overrun (due to centrifugal forces throwing out the components as they slow down).
So it could be a pulley, or a Dual Mass Flywheel, or a timing chain, big end bearings, etc

It would be best to take it into a good independent garage for them to diagnose the area that the sound is emanating from.
An easy way to eliminate the crankshaft pulley is to remove the auxiliary drivebelts and see if the noise disappears (when stationary off course)

Let us know what you find

Ill start by taking belt off and having a look for any odd moving pulleys and sound changes and  ill get back to you, I dont think its the flywheel as sound continues when clutch being depressed and pumped with no change in sound Ill get cracking on with it today

thanks for now

I removed the serpentine belt , checked for play in pulleys drove the car with no belt, and never heard any sound, however it never does it on que anyway, built car back up but sound has came back, after driving car for a bit the sound has returned and have noticed it quietens down when depressing the clutch, but dont want to say flywheel as when clutch is depressed its also taking the load off the engine. So still stuck at moment, I am tempted to jack front wheels off ground and secure it so I can drive it in place so i can pin point what it is

If it is making the noise with the belt on then it is the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) that is breaking up.

You will need to replace the pulley with a later improved replacement one (probably dealer supplied) and usually a tensioner which will be of a different diameter possibly and also a new belt which should solve the issue.

Hi again, removed the crank pulley today, removed 4x 12mm bolts , unfortunately no balancer just solid metal, check all pulleys and timing belt all fine, what i am wondering if it could be the o/s driveshaft , just by the sound of the problem and when and how it happens, so going to remove it tomorrow for inspection