Spark plugs, where are they?

AndyR

Hi all, I have a Astra g 1.6 club auto. It has the 16v ecotech engine. I was going to see what the plugs were, and check to see if one is breaking down, as I have a power problem when at running temp. But, I lift off the top cover to find a long sealed box with the plug leads coming from. Does this sot on top of the plugs?

I've also noticed that I have engine oil in the water system. Could this be a major problem? I'm going to flush the water system through later and put in fresh antifreeze. 

Back to the engine power problem. After about 20 miles it starts to get a bit hesitant. Rolling along at 60mph you ease off and then go to accelerate away, and it is like turbo lag, but I don't have a turbo. If you keep the power on it's fine, but when you try to pull away gently it's quite up and down. Almost like fuel starvation. 

If anyone has any ideas on what this is, I would be very appreciative.

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy

The plug leads are caps that sit on the top on the plugs and directly connected to the coil pack.
The coil pack could be going faulty and the best way to determine this is to remove the spark plugs and lay them out as they come out.
If one plugs is wet or oily compared to the others then this is the faulty cylinder.

As for oil in the water, let us know how the flush goes and fingers crossed its nothing too serious.

Thanks Trevor. I am hoping to get out on it tomorrow as its supposed to be nice weather. Got to do something, as going cabin crazy being stuck indoors. This is my first ever twin cam engined car, so seeing a block with plug leads coming out of it going to what looks like a coil pack really confused me. Old Astra was a 8v single cam and the plugs were visible. 

I am hoping that the flush through will be nothing serious too. Fingers crossed. Will post the outcome , oil and filter change tomorrow as well. 

Thanks again.

Andy.

Hi Trevor, got delayed in the servicing, but have done all today. Oil definitely needed doing, as very black. Air filter box removed and all dirt and leaves removed. And how deep are those spark plugs, !!! Did check them , and number 3 was a little oily around the thread, but all were a nice biscuit colour. I then moved on to the coolant flush. Wasn't as bad as the header tank looked. Am wondering if the previous owner put some sort of additive in with the very weak antifreeze solution. Have now put fresh antifreeze in and all seems well. Might give it a month and flush through again just to make sure. The car certainly seems more responsive now. 😉😉

Hope you are well, and thanks again for your help. 

Regards Andy

Glad to hear it all went well Andy and I think the timing to carry out these tasks was just right with all the time we seem to have nowadays.
I always notice a difference after the cars have been serviced in terms of performance, engine sound, confidence in reliability, etc and 1 year between services is just right, any longer and you its a false economy in terms of running costs, e.g. higher fuel consumption, etc.

Now onto polishing it and detailing to find something else to do 🙂

That's the next plan of campaign, having 3 teenage daughters means interior needs a clean out. I'd get them to do it, but I've seen in their bedrooms. 

Over the next few weeks I'm going to go around it with a fine tooth comb and make sure all is good for its next mot.

Keep shining, and stay safe. 

Andy.

My home is my office, I am a full time carer for my wife, and I repair cycles from home too. 

So when wife has her bad days, I can pick up the strain and keep everything ticking along. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the wife gave me a nice surprise today. She got the hoover out and gave the interior a birthday. Thanks sweetheart. 😘.

I got the toothpaste and warm water out, and descaled the headlight. That has certainly improved the clarity of the beam. 

I see wash and polishing tomorrow. And maybe some back to black on the trim and tyres. 

That was very nice of your wife to valet the interior, can't see my wife doing that to my cars, or even her own (Alfa Romeo) which desperately needs a damn good clean.

Post up some before and after pics if you want Andy, would be nice to see how the Astra is looking now after all the TLC you have shown it