CODE 68

Jack

I was driving my Vauxhall’s Astra excite last night when I stopped at a service station. My car has had no problems before but when I went to get back in the car it wouldn’t start and it came up with CODE68. I managed to get someone to give me a jump start and the car has been fine today? Any ideas on what this could be and whether it will happen again? 

Hi Jack, and welcome to the site.

I have just done a google search on your CODE68, and it states,

"Code 68 relates to a power steering fault. As these cars run electronic power steering, a week car battery is a common culprit."

This was on a Vauxhall forum, and was mainly Astra's that seem to suffer this issue. I will be keeping an eye on my own Astra.

Hope this is helpful. 

Regards Andy.

Perfect. Since I managed to jump start the car I haven’t had the issue since. Should I still replace it or should I wait and see if the problem occurs again? 

• 1 year later...

my vauxhall mariva 60 plate , has code 68 also but the car starts perfect , could the battery still be the culprit?  just hoping its not the more expensive option of a new steering pump 

Edited by jayjay

Hi jayjay, it might be worth getting the battery checked to see if its losing charge. If it is not, then it may well be the steering pump. 

Probably not something you'd want to hear this close to xmas though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a code 68 on 2013 astra. The steering went stiff. As it was original battery I have changed this. I have restarted car and steering was fine but 5 mins later fault popped backup and steering gone stiff? Any suggestions 

Hi Yates, code 68 does relate to power steering fault, which usually means battery doesn't have enough juice for steering to operate so well. The steering is electric,  so hence battery would cause this. As you have changed the battery, it could be that the alternator isn't putting enough charge back in to the battery whilst running, which then means battery isn't powerful enough to do steering again. 

A vicious circle, but it might pay to get the alternator checked out too. 

Hope this helps.

Regards AndyR. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, Vauxhall Owners Club said:

Agree with AndyR especially as the mornings are getting a lot colder now, this is when the battery will deliver the power to where it is needed most and some sub-systems fall a little further down the scale 

I have vauxhall meriva 15 just as I finished my night shift today at the hospital I started my car and my steering was stiff with the steering sign and service light sign showing on my dashboard. Then I had to call AA to help me out as I was waiting for them after 2hrs of wait I went back to my car started it and everything disappeared the steering came back to normal..so my question is dose it mean its my battery that was low then ?

That is quite possible,  with the car being cold after your shift, it would take a bit more to start, and that could've drained the battery down. And after sitting a couple of hours it may have had enough to start and clear the fault. Might pay to get battery checked in case it's not charging as well as it should. 

AndyR 

• 11 months later...

Hi I have a 2013 Astra J active as above I have code 68. I have a battery read of 12.3v when the ignition is off. Is that too low. 

The car starts first time every time.

I have tried disconnecting/connecting the battery no luck there.

When the car is started shows charging at 15+v

(if it shows charging at that rate isnt it enough power for the power steering to work.)

Edited by PhilS
More info

I have a 2014 Adam. Got in my car tonight to go shopping and it wouldn’t start was just flickering and got the code 68. Really don’t need this right before Christmas! Now worried about the costs for the garage to come and get it from my house on top of what may be wrong. It’s recently just passed its MOT. My car also has VERY low mileage so I’m hoping it’s nothing major. My bf thinks it could be the alternator. When he checked it, it briefly started up. But he decided to switch it off and back on to double check and it was just doing the same thing again.