Astra G spare key.

AndyR

Hi all, hope you are all having a good start to 2020, despite Ciara and Dennis. 

The previous owner of my Astra found a spare key, which in its self is great news if i accidentally lock my main key inside. 

Problem being is that although the spare will unlock the car, and fits the ignition, it will not keep the car running. It starts first time, and before you put it in gear, it has stalled and will not start at all. Also the light on the dash comes on and flashes, (  the one that's a car with a key through the middle). The key is just a basic key with no remote lock/unlock.

Can anyone shed some light on this please. Looks like i'll be investing in another key with buttons. Was hoping the wife and I could have a key each, but that's not going to happen. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards Andy. 

Hi Andy......hope you are well?
Pretty awful weather so far but not hit too bad in Dorset, a few trees down and high water levels but nothing disastrous really....hows it there?

It sounds like the key is a blank key (as in it doesn't have the immobiliser chip or if it does then it is not reading it correctly)

Here is a link to a supplier of keys and can programme one up for you

http://www.car-keys-online.com/category/505/astra.html

Hi there, were all fine here in Norfolk. Its been quite windy, but no trees down, which is very pleasing as I'm surrounded by them. 

I did wonder if it had a chip in it, as it has quite a flat fob. I'll give the link you sent a look later and see what I can sort out. Apart from that she's running well, and will be getting a service later this week. 

Thanks again for your advice, and for running a great owners forum. 

Regards Andy.