Top end tapping ..

AndyR

Hello folks, 

My 03 Astra G has started to sound quite tappy on start up. Sounds like all tappets are loose. Once she has warmed up, it quietens down, but there is still a little tapping sound . I've been told that i need to change the oil again, otherwise i could cause the cam buckets to fail. I have noticed that the spark plug nearest the coil pack is getting oily, is this a major problem, or an easy fix?? Engine has now done 114,000+ miles, and is the 1.6 twinport.

regards Andy.

Hi Andy.....hope you are well?

The tapping noise is usually a sign that the oil is not at it's best, and also maybe worth using a flush through the engine when you do an oil change.
A good quality oil and of the correct grade should resolve this issue.

It sounds like it could be a leaking cam cover responsible for the oil leak so I would programme this to be replaced at the same time as the oil change maybe?

Keep us in the loop as to how it all goes.

Cheers,   Trevor

Thanks Trevor. That certainly is better news than I was expecting. Going to get oil and filter tomorrow, and hopefully, if weather allows, change at weekend. Will also see about can cover gasket. 

Its had a tiny oil leak since I've had it, but never been able to find it. Oil wasn't noticeably going down, so I just kept a vigilante eye open. 

What would you recommend to use for the flush through??

And yes I will keep you in the loop.

Regards Andy.

There are several engine oil flushes on the market...some you add to the oil and run the engine at idle for 10 minutes or so and other flushes (which are harder to find as they are a trade item mainly) which you drain out the old engine oil and half fill the sump with the flush oil, run for 10 minutes and then drain

The latter works an absolute treat and really shifts the carbon deposits and sorts rattling hydraulic cam followers

Thanks for the info Trevor. I will be looking at doing this, it would be worth it for the old girl. There's still many miles in her yet, and I'd like to hopefully have those worry free. 

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how things progress. 

Regards, Andy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got to do the oil change and flush through today. :tongue:

Although the oil did come out very black, it wasn't as cruddy as i expected. The flush came out a bit cruddy, but didn't seem too bad either. Unfortunately it hasn't cured the rattling from top end. It is not as bad, but is still there, and noticeable when sitting in traffic.Does this mean that i am going to have to delve deeper to fix? or would an oil additive help? 

Remember my dad using STP Oil treatment in an old Cortina he had years ago. That quietened it down. 

Apart from that it is going well, and has a trip of about 130 miles to do tomorrow ( Monday).☺️ 

😠Have now got to buy a new drivers side door mirror though, thanks to some stupid old woman that shouldn't be driving. 😠

Sorry to hear about the mirror....bloody inconvenient 😞

You could try something like Wynns or STP which may make a difference...I have used it in the dim and distant past when oil was not as good quality as it is nowadays and just needed an additive to enhance it and stop the lifters from tapping away.