New Alternator not charging New Battery

Carl Slater

Astra 1.7tdci (56 estate) Help please--------replaced alternator and battery with new ----------carried out earthing test (earth strap from battery negative to engine)---alternator not charging battery----having to charge battery up on each journey and I take the old (turns out good ) battery with me to get home--------------PLEASE HELP

Hi Carl.....welcome to the Club

Have you tested the alternator for output...should be around/just over 14 volts.

If providing specified current/voltage then I would suggest that the battery is defective (albeit a new one).

Had this in the past where a customer went off to get their own battery and fitted it but not keeping a charge.

Told him to take it back as it was a cheap one and spend a bit more money on a premium battery.....you can tell the difference in the same size battery by the weight of it....cheap one is a lot lighter as not much lead inside. You get what you pay for sometimes!

Let us know what you find

Thank You for your help.....The "new" battery is an EXIDE PREMIUM 72V.The "old" battery is a Varta 60V,there is the possibility that the new battery is a duff one,so I will refit the old one and see how I get on with the old battery/new alternator combo....The lad from the garage said the new alt. was fine............................................I will update to let folks know how I get on..Cheers.

10 hours ago, Carl Slater said:

Thank You for your help.....The "new" battery is an EXIDE PREMIUM 72V.The "old" battery is a Varta 60V,there is the possibility that the new battery is a duff one,so I will refit the old one and see how I get on with the old battery/new alternator combo....The lad from the garage said the new alt. was fine............................................I will update to let folks know how I get on..Cheers.

Old battery performed better than new one;then same problem.maybe BOTH battery's are DUFF.Will update again once problem is (hopefully) sorted out!!