Key Ignition stuck

Peter Abbott

My Vauxhall B 20.i 16v 1996 ignition has stuck on 0 and the key will not turn. I have tried picking the tumblers  and tapping the key with a mallet, no luck.  My question is on removing the barrel should I drill it out or hammer in a screwdriver which I might turn the barrel to position 1 which would allow me to remove it and replace it with a new ignition barrel. Thanks for your advice.....Peter

Hi Peter

To remove the steering lock assembly, you would need to remove the lower fascia from the steering column and remove the shear bolts with a hammer and centre punch so this may be the best method and then you could soak it in WD40 to loosen any sticking tumblers or completely replace the lock and key assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on removing  the ignition barrel. I do not have a steering lock problem the wheel moves left and right with no problem. I tried to remove the screw from the lower fascia cover  but it won't budge. There are also  two indents above but I don't see any screws in them. How many screws are there to removed this cover. If i get the barrel to move to position 1 I can just pull it out and then clean it and file up the last pin which may have flatted and got stuck. If all fails I shall buy a new barrel and keys.

One other question, I will have to program  a new blank chip within the key that comes with the barrel, in that going through the motions of turning the key in the ignition for 10½ minutes x 3 would that program the chip for a Vectra b 1996 I hope?

Merry Christmas. Regards, Peter