Brake warning light, astra g.

AndyR

Hi everyone. I was out and about with the family yesterday, when I noticed the handbrake light on the dash was flashing intermittently. It did it s while ago and I replaced front pads and it stopped. Is it telling me to check rear shoes? Or is there a wire shorting out somewhere? 

All advice would be much appreciated thanks. 

That's a relief, had a feeling it was going to be a sensor somewhere breaking down, or a wire. Looks like I'm going to be getting the tools out later. Is the adjuster underneath or below the handbrake lever? 

Thanks in advance. 

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Now all sorted. Took up the slack at the handbrake lever, and its all good to go. No more flickering light. 😂

That's one of the jobs on the "To do" list ticked off. Next is sorting out the electric fan. Don't think it actually works......😟

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, will give that a go, but I've got my brake warning light problem back. So could this be letting me know to change the rear shoes?

Thinking of doing them anyway, as I have no idea when they were last done. Are they easy to do, as I have not got a manual yet.😕

Rear shoes are always easy to do as long as you don't lose any springs, clips or anything else.

Use a good selection of pliers to remove and replace clips and springs and only do one side at a time so if you can't remember where all the bits go back then you can refer to the other side.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Now I am at a loss.....................................................................😬😬

Have replaced rear shoes this week, adjusted handbrake to about 3-4 clicks. And all is working well, except the brake warning light on the dash is still flickering whilst driving along. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can cure this please. My Astra is non ABS , so its not as i thought, a sensor breaking down. Now at wits end trying to sort this out. 

Thanks in advance, Andy.     😕😕😕😕 

• 2 weeks later...

here goes, hope this works...😏

Oops its upside down. 

This is also the handbrake light, it is bottom left on the dash, below the temp gauge. Has a tendency to flicker as you are driving along. Is quite annoying at night. 😬

dash lite 1.jpg

That sounds like a good step to try. I was wondering if it could be anything to do with the brake fluid reservoir/level. Or whether the fluid may need refreshing? 

Must admit that the brakes, (although are all new front and rear), don't seem as sharp as they were when i first got the car. Could that be a fluid problem? 

I will try the switch idea tomorrow though, and let you know the outcome.  

Thanks for the advice. ☺️

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i thought i'd found the problem friday, but after last nights journey in the rain, no i hadn't. 😒 

I noticed that the earth lead on the battery was loose. So i tightened it up, and the light stayed off, well until last nights trip out in heavy rain. I found quite a few deep puddles, and the light came back on and off and on, not as bright as when the handbrake is on, but enough to be noticeable. 

Could there be wiring under the car slightly exposed to the elements??  I'm thinking along the lines of a bad earth.  😕