Help/Advice Needed

aread1105

Hi everyone,

Dont know where else to turn to without being fleeced by a main dealer for nothing. 

I have a 64 plate Astra Estate 1.6 Auto. Has 25k on the clock and full history (even did plugs on it in April to be on the safe side - im 2nd owner) 

Drove to Manchester from Hull & back again Saturday Night (102 miles each way)  Drove fine there but on the way back just after leaving Manchester EML came on  (amber) no loss of power/didnt go into limp mode etc. 

Got home, left it overnight and started her up Sunday afternoon, oil just registering on dipstick, EML still on and billowing white smoke from the exhaust (has done it a few times but never brought on a light - worse after a long run) Called Greenflag, their engineer stuck his head under the car and said there is oil everywhere (front to back) suspect oil pump. 

Took it to a garage (not vauxhall - partner works for a main dealer) 

Theyve cleaned off all the oil and left it running on a ramp for 20 mins and basically told me they cant find a leak so i have to run it for a few hundred miles... EML came on for pressure valves - But did tell me the smoking is a sign piston rings are on their way out, the Eco Tech engines are a load of s**t and basically to expect imminent engine failure soon. They revved it up to 4k and it kicked out a load of rubbish out the exhaust all over the workshop floor 

Only bought the car in Feb and i love it so im pretty gutted. Ran out of Manufacturers warranty beginning of October and the garage gave me a 6 month aftermarket warranty (max claim limit of £500) which i doubt will cover Oil leak and Fried piston rings. 

Does anyone know if this is a common issue on this engine?

Do vauxhall offer goodwill on repairs with it being just out of warranty?

For a car with such low miles and quite young i really hoped it would last me a few years. 

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I couldn't categorically state what is wrong with the engine without seeing readings.....something which any garage should be able to provide...compression readings and leak-down readings for all cylinders....then you can make a proper judgement.

I would go back and ask them for a more definitive diagnosis or take it to a reputable independent repairer.

Let us know how its all going