astra twintop mpg

lincslass61

i brought my astra twin top 2008,33,000 on the clock back in may. i only do short journeys a 16 mile round trip into town once or twice a week. the mpg then was 25/26. recently i noticed it was only doing 20/21 mpg for the same journey. on doing my regular oil check i noticed the oil was showing to far up the dipstick. i took it in a vauxhall garage who said the oil level was normal on the dip stick and i was probably just catching the tube when i was taking the dip stick in and out. even though i told them i have checked it regular and this had just started happening. but i guess they know better than me. 

but i am concerned at the mpg i'm getting now . is this normal for a twintop its a 1800 engine auto.

and would getting the engine tuned make any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would check the engine doesn't smell of fuel because if the oil level is high it could be fuel washing down into the engine oil past the piston rings.

Quite common if the car is only used on short journeys at low revs and the engine doesn't get hot.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor